Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Slacklining, Badminton, and Debugging


As I write this there is a nasty huge June bug throwing itself against my window in my cute little garage-room. Sigh. June bugs are probably the nastiest bugs in the world. They're enormous, sticky, loud, and GROSS!!!!!! So far three of the four nights I've been here have included throwing a June bug outside. Sunday also included waging war against the spiders that thought they were living in the garage but were sadly mistaken. After an afternoon of debugging and my nightly June bug elimination rampage my room in Jess and Ben's garage is actually pretty awesome! As Ben says, it doesn't even look like a garage! It's a pretty great space and moving in was great because I could just pull my car into the driveway, open the garage door and throw my stuff inside. I think all rooms should have one wall that can go up to make moving in and out a lot easier. Anything to make moving easier on me, as it seems to have become a hobby of mine over the past few years. I move at least once a year, sometimes more. On the upside though it's a good way to cut down on having too much junk because I just don't want to move that much stuff.

So I'm all settled into my garage-room and thoroughly enjoying Maine! I've got two weeks before I start working at the rec camp so I will be looking into new hobbies, taking lots of photos, and watching some training videos that I have been assigned in preparation for camp. I also want to explore the town of Wells a little and get to know my way around. I finally got my slacklining aspirations into motion and bought 50 feet of webbing from EMS and after several days of Jess, Ben, and I trying various systems for putting the line up between trees in their backyard we have finally got it set up and have all been practicing and gradually improving. So far my record is three steps before falling off. I have also been honing my badminton skills. Yesterday, on Memorial Day, we had a barbeque with some friends over and we played some epic rounds of badminton, and Zach and I practiced some more tonight in the rain. We're determined to become badminton masters. I think we're well on our way.

This afternoon I decided to go for a run in hopes that I wasn't acclimated (or is it de-acclimated?) yet to being at sea level so that I'd feel good about myself. After jogging a little ways down the road parallel to the beach I stopped to breathe on the sea wall and when I decided it was about time to get up and jog back, the sky suddenly opened up and just DUMPED rain down on me. It was actually completely awesome. I love running in the rain, and by the time I got back I was totally soaked and quite happy.

As I drove around Wells a while this afternoon, stopping at the grocery store and drug store, I came to the conclusion that my road trip this spring has caused me to be very comfortable just wandering around (via car or by foot) a city or town I don't know my way around at all. In fact, I quite enjoy it. I did this several times in various cities throughout my trip. I really find myself enjoying being in a new place that I am only vaguely or not at all familiar with and just driving or walking around, not having any particular destination or direction in mind and seeing what I see. I've found some great coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, art, people, photo opportunities, and so on doing this. There's something strangely comforting in knowing that you've got the entire day to just get lost in a place and it doesn't matter when you get back, there's no schedule or deadline for the day. In fact, it seemed that most of the places I stopped in on my trip had at least one day for "getting lost". I've been made fun of a few times for not having a GPS and using an atlas instead to travel across the country. Although I can see the benefit of a GPS I also thing there is value in getting lost or finding your own way without a machine telling you which way to turn and when. If you make a wrong turn somewhere who knows, maybe you'll find something totally awesome around that wrong corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment