Sunday, June 27, 2010

Paychecks and Adventures? Yes Please!



I finished my first week of working at the Rec camp! It was a pretty good week, quite exhausting but also fun. Tuesday was our first day with the kids so we had a morning of name games, rules, orientation, etc. which wasn't too extensive since the kids pretty much already knew everyone and knew what to expect. It was me who needed the orientation. I'm still figuring out how things work and what to do. There have been a few surprises I wish I'd been told about ahead of time but even with the staff, they'd all worked at the rec before so training and orientation wasn't very essential except for me...it feels a little strange to have wandered into this community where everyone knows everyone else due to the small size of the town. All the kids go to school together and all the staff have grown up together. Then there's me. And the other new person, Josh. Despite being the new person, I do feel very welcome in the camp. Everyone's really nice and the kids don't hardly seem to notice that I'm new. Every once in a while I get a little homesick for Sonlight, because for 14 years that was the only camp experience I'd ever had. The camp here is definitely different and those differences seem to blare out at me especially when I get frustrated or confused. BUT, I've already had a chance to do some pretty fun and awesome things and I'm getting paid for it! And for that I'm grateful. Tuesday after the get-to-know-you games we took the kids to the beach and spent the rest of the day there. Then on Wednesday we went to a camp ground about 30 minutes away where there was a pool, volleyball nets, basketball courts, paddle boats, and mini-golf. That was a fun day too! And then Thursday was my very first experience with playing paintball! And Friday we went to a water park in New Hampshire. I mean...I got PAID to go to a water park! :-) This coming week we are going on an overnight camping trip and I think that will be pretty awesome! I'm excited for that.

Other than that, not a whole lot has happened this past week. I've just been getting used to the routine of getting up early, going to work, and then coming home. I was thinking about it and decided this is the first job I've ever had with regular-people job hours. I work 8:30-4:30, and I've never had such normal hours at any job! Haha. Weird. Anyways...a few evenings ago I went for a bike ride to the beach with Jess and her dad, and these are a few of the photos I took. It was right at sunset, so it was just gorgeous!



No comments:

Post a Comment